Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Mountain Thanksgiving

Well, it is December 26 and no better time to blog about Thanksgiving. I have been just a little busy and really haven't felt the urge to blog lately. But I will catch us up on what has been going on in the Walton family.

This year for Thanksgiving, we did something a little different and since it turned out to be really fun, we aim to make this a new tradition. We spent Thanksgiving with Kevin's sister and her family. We got a cabin in Seiverville, TN which is close to Gatlinburg and spent the Thanksgiving break with them. Joe and Jennifer live in Mooresville, NC and they have 4 girls, Lauren who is 14, Ashley and Allison who are 12 and Taylor who is 10. We always enjoy being with them. We go see them some but it is a 6-7 hour trip to Mooresville from our house and that can be a long trip. Our house is way too small to hold us all comfortably so they can't really come and see us. We decided to solve the problem by meeting at a midway point.

We stayed at the Oak Haven Resort and Spa in Seiverville, TN in cabin number 75. We got a 4 bedroom cabin. Kevin and Jennifer's mom (Memaw) flew in to spend Thanksgiving with us also. We got there on Tuesday night and Joe and Jennifer got there on Wednesday. The cabin was the perfect size for us because everyone had some kind of bed to sleep on instead of sleeping on the floor.

I will confess, I was very excited about this trip. Kevin and I had talked about doing this before but never did anything about it. Last year we drove to Baton Rouge for Thanksgiving and while we had a good time, we really wanted to just spend Thanksgiving with Joe and Jennifer and we did not want to drive a very long distance. Kevin and I reserved the cabin way back in August. I freely admit that I am a planner. When something big is going happen, I start making lists and planning on what to do. So back in August, I started planning what we were going to eat (not what we were going to do to entertain ourselves but what we were going to eat) I restrained myself from bugging Jennifer about food till the first of November but I had everything planned by mid September. I am so pathetic.

We decided to have a traditional Thanksgiving meal. Since there are certain foods that my family likes and there are certain foods that their family likes, I made half of the meal and they made the other half. We ended up with quite the feast with turkey and dressing and all the trimmings. I did disappoint myself with the turkey though. I bought 2 turkey breasts and I guess they got overdone because they were not the best.

We didn't plan on doing much while we were there. All the kids were having blast and I don't think they were bored at all. We did go into Gatlinburg on Friday afternoon and walked and saw the sights but mainly we stayed in the cabin. After our meal on Thursday, I said I would go walking with the girls and I did and oh my! Our cabin was on the top of a very steep hill. There was a walking path behind the cabins and we took the path down the hill. Now, I am older and right now not in good shape but I was up for the challenge. When we got to the bottom, Faith and Allie wanted to take the main road back up to the cabin and the rest just wanted to take the path back. The path was flat and then up and then flat and then up. The road was just up. Since I didn't think Faith and Allie needed to be by themselves, I went with them. Allie would have ran up the hill if it wasn't for me. I had to stop several times to catch my breath and almost didn't think I was going to make it but I did and I am proud of myself.


This the Cullen family. Joe and Jennifer, Lauren, Ashley, Allie and Taylor.


There was a hot tub and the cabin and we let the kids in for a little while. They thought they were special.


Taylor and Faith are both 4th graders and although they only get to see each other once or twice a year they are good friends. When we went to Gatlinburg, we parked our cars and took the trolley in. Which was a good thing because Gatlinburg was PACKED. The trolley driver said there were no parking spaces to be found.

Thanksgiving turned out perfect and I hope that this a new tradition for our families.

No comments: