Tuesday, January 20, 2009

John Derrick's Carseat

John Derrick does NOT like change. He is the only child I know that doesn't want to be a "big boy." He wants to stay little. He has been like this for the past 3 or 4 months. We have been trying to transition him away from little kids things like sippy cups and booster seats. Our latest transition was his carseat.

John Derrick weighs over 40 pounds and he is 4 years old. He was too big for the carseat that he has been using since he was 6 months old. It was time for a new one. The problem was that he really likes his carseat. I guess he felt safe in the 5-point harness and I felt safer with him in the harness, too. So I did a little research. I found a carseat with a 5-point harness that went up to 65 pounds that converted to a booster seat and then a backless booster but it was quite expensive and I felt like he would want to use a seatbelt in a few months.

Target had the Graco Turbo Booster on sale this week and that is the carseat that I really wanted to get him. So I got it. I showed him the ad and he didn't like it, he wanted the one that had the 5 point harness that was also on sale. I got him dressed this morning and told him that we were going to Wal Mart (decided to use their price matching instead of driving to Mt. Juliet) and we were going to get his big boy carseat and he told me that he was too little for it. So I resorted to bribing him. I told him that I would get him a toy if he would get a big boy carseat. So he reluctantly agreed. We went to Wal Mart and looked at the carseats. We found the one advertised and he told me that it didn't have yellow on it but he still let me get it.

So it was off to the toys. I had offered to get him a Webkinz because he and Faith had been playing a lot with her Webkinz and I thought he might like his own. He told me that Webkinz were for girls but he did consider it. We perused the toy aisle. He wanted to look at the cars. We looked at the cars. We made it down to the Disney Cars. He looked at all the cars. I tried pointing out a few and he picked out two cars which of course were not the $3. He picked out a Mack truck and a Mini Lightening McQueen with a trailer. He knew he had me if the palm of his hand. I didn't want to upset him because this was his treat for getting a big boy carseat so I let him get both. Thankfully he loves playing with his cars so I know this won't be wasted money.

So he is slowly becoming a big boy. I don't want him to grow up too quickly so if he wants to drink from a sippy cup a while longer so be it. He is still my little boy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I of course think he is very special also, and he continues to have me wrapped around his little finger. In a blink of an eye he will be grown. Enjoy each precious moment.
Granddaddy