Saturday, September 10, 2011

My Letter to Faith.


Dear Faith,

September 11, 2001 started out as any other day in the Walton house, but by the day's end everything had changed. It was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky. We were living in Marion, Arkansas. Faith, you were eighteen months old. You and I were home alone that day because Daddy was in Ruston, LA for work. We got up and got dressed. I dropped you off at your daycare, West Memphis Christian School, and I went to work at Artcraft Converters, Inc in Memphis, Tennessee. I was early for once, but there was a stalled truck on the Memphis/Arkansas Bridge so I ended up late again.
I was about to turn off of Crump Avenue onto South Fourth Street when I heard on the radio (KIX 106) that a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center in New York City. I remember thinking "that doesn't sound good." I got to work and turned on my radio there. Details were not clear at the time but soon another plane crashes into the second World Trade Center Tower. I knew then that this was an acto of terrorism. Soon everybody at work had heard the news. The phones were quiet as no one was calling. We turned up radios and listened. Someone found a 5-inch black and white television and we turned it on. We all stood around and watch the horror unfold. Another plane had crashed into the Pentagon. Another plane crashed into a field in Pennsylvania (why a field? We found out later that there were heroes aboard that kept the hijackers from reaching their final destination)
As we sat there watching the television, a tower collapses, only two hours after the plane had crashed into it. There were still people inside. Minutes later the second tower collapses. So many lives were lost.
Your grandmother called me at work wanting to make sure we were ok. I called your Daddy but it took so long to get through to him. I finally got to hear his voice and know he was ok. I left work that evening and when I picked you up from daycare. I held you close.
On September 11, 2001, terrorist attacked America. They thought they could tear America apart but they did the opposite. The very next day, the red, white and blue of the American flag was flying at half mast but proudly outside of businesses, schools, homes and on cars. The colors were proudly worn by every American. The terrorists brought Americans closer then they ever were.

From Your Loving Mother

No comments: